Tuesday, December 5, 2017

My New Online Obsession

One of the smartest and funniest TV shows (never easy to do) was Dr. Katz Professional Therapist. For a high concept show it was brilliant. Take the best jokes of many of the top stand up comedians of the late 90s and have them riff and rant while in their psychiatrist's office (the previously mentioned Dr. Katz). Add to the mix his slacker son Ben and long suffering, disinterested, people hating secretary Laura and you have six seasons of comedy GOLD! The animation is totally unique 'squigglevision' which is actually a cheaper form of animation but its not about the cartoons...its all dialogue baby. Ben is the ultimate slacker loser but his dad still loves and encourages him. Dr. Katz tries to have hope that Ben will become something but we all know that will never happen. Oh and "long live BULLY". I have so many other shows to watch so I have no business dipping my toe back into yet another program I loved in the past. It's an embarrassment of riches out there for an agoraphobic freak like myself.

 


5 comments:

Jordan said...

Delighted to hear it! I'm a huge Dr. Katz fan.

DrGoat said...

Me too. Watched it when it first came out in the 90s. Funny stuff.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I just got hooked on the You Tube and had to download all the seasons. Ben is Emmy Bait. I love his relationship with long suffering Laura who could be my soul mate.

Jordan said...

My all-time favorite Laura bit is when he makes her listen to his folk song.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I have to find that.