Saturday, November 28, 2015

Soon It Will All Be Watched And There Will Be No More




You would really be surprised how much like Season 28, Season 1 of COPS is. They really didn't stray too far from the original formula in all these decades but boy some of those first episodes are goofy. I mean putting cops in boxes to jump out and chase down street dealers. It's filmed like this box trick is totally the most original thing these police officers have ever thought of. Oh and the box they are jumping out of is tied down with a couple of shoe laces. I am glad these knuckleheads didn't have tasers back then. They might have hurt themselves. In Episode 3 they build their Trojan Horse out of plywood instead of cardboard box. It's like a holiday float.

Episode 2 - they show a female cop kissing her fiancé and try make a show out of them. They filmed the freakin PROPOSAL. Gah, that is horrible. I mean she is cute and if she got shot in the line of duty then I would be sad but REALLY, a PROPOSAL? Oh and her name is Officer Linda Canada. I shit you not.

The guys in Season 28 would shoot themselves rather than submit to that kind of foolishness on camera. There is no room for foolishness if you are on COPS. There is enough foolishness on the streets already. They also must have a NO DONUT SHOP rule because I never see the cops eat or drink anything. Maybe they don't pee or poop either? I don't know because I don't see it.

I am so glad that by the later episodes they stopped showing the beginning of shift meetings because everyone is mugging for the camera and we don't want to see the boring stuff. Just get to the taser worthy suspect and let the comedy begin.

 
But I can forgive these early episodes because from that the formula was born and has been successful for 28 seasons. Most seasons have more than 30 episodes in them so that is over a thousand of hours of law enforcement goodness. It's the original reality show that is the ONE thing that even FOX couldn't kill off and they kill off every show that is half decent. (Brooklyn 99 - watch your back).

For 25 seasons, Cops was broadcast by Fox (with repeats from earlier seasons syndicated to local television stations and other cable networks, including truTV and G4). After Fox canceled the show, Spike picked it up for three more seasons, in addition to reruns of previous seasons. The 28th and latest season premiered on June 20, 2015, with a 33 episode order.

Well what do you know. Fox did cancel the show after 25  years. Damn that's cold. Good think I get Spike.

Watching a rookie escalate the situation instead of calming it down is hard to watch. I swear that man should not be armed. He is unstable.

I only have seasons 1-6 left and then I will have seen them all. That will be a sad moment.

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

The only thing I ever liked about COPS is the theme. But then, I just LOVE the Trailer Park Boys. Maybe I just need fiction to give the losers some saving grace.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Oh you have missed out. Real reality will always be better than scripted reality. But I do love TPB...Steve French the Cougar and Rita McNeil was the best.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

This summer when we was in Cape Breton, we went to Rita McNeil's tea house. It doubles as a museum/shrine to Rita. And there, among all her Junos, Order of Canada, awards and the teapot containing her ashes, was a bad but treasured photo of her with the TPB from that episode! I intend to blog about the tea house visit in due course when I have a bit of time to assemble the photos.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

That was such a funny moment to watch her harvesting their weed for them. She always got the joke, didn't she"

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, she did. And that was the only episode where the TPBs never said "fuck" (at least in their scenes with Rita) because she didn't like that kind of language.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Oh I would love to hear their remembrances of that time, especially Bubbles.

Still the fact when they let that cougar out of the car and the cougar took one look and turned around to get back into the back seat. Perfect take. I have to find that scene. Love that Steve French.