Saturday, November 21, 2015

Jessica Jones - Episode One

 
Knowing what I do about the character and the comic book she debuted in, I got many of the plot references long before people who are going in cold will get them. I sense Jessica's terror and feel her angry desperation right away. I suspect these feelings will only get worse and worse as we go along. The mental ramifications of what happened to Jessica in the past hang over ever second of this series; well the parts I have seen so far. However there was a lot of story to chew on here and Krysten Ritter is very good as the lead character.

PTSD is a powerful mental disorder. It can take all the strength from your mind in a second. Now imagine someone with super powers going through the worse thing that you can imagine. Imagine how someone feels when they think they failed as the hero they set out to be.

Jessica is a natural investigator. She is smart and good at reading people. I bet she could fix everyone else's life but never her own. I very much like the way they introduced Luke Cage. Can't wait to see him clear a room with our Jessica as both are pretty indestructible. Sexually they are very compatible.


I like that this series is written by a woman (Melissa Rosenberg) and there are nice little touches that show someone who understands fear and redemption and women who have been victimized by men.
I see understanding in the eyes of Jessica's friends. Not accusations. That was a refreshing change when women who have gone through trauma are usually treated by male storytellers. Some women don't need a man to save them. Some women can save themselves. Jessica will save herself and deliver some righteous retribution by the end, I just know it.

But damn the end of that first episode was harsh. I have a feeling that bad things are going to happen to people I will come to care about. People without super powers. But I am in for the entire journey.



No comments: