Thursday, July 16, 2015

TV This Week

 
The Last Ship
 
 
Still the best post apocalyptic action adventure show on TV right now. I am always thrilled by the skills of the crew of the Nathan James and the resourcefulness of their Captain. There are a couple of major events in episode five and a happy ending is never certain and the crew plays a game of cat and mouse with a submarine. Plus a NEW enemy rises and THIS philosophy makes total sense to me...in a story sense and that is an exciting thing. People who were spared the Red Plague due to a natural immunity are now calling themselves the CHOSEN. The last thing they want in a cure for the virus. It dilutes their numbers and is a perfect propaganda tool. They would never trust the cure anyways. They believe themselves to be better because God chose them to be saved. Great, the worst kind of assholes - true believers. 
 
The Strain
 
 
Another big hit from last summer is back and it didn't take long for things to get difficult for our intrepid band of vampire fighters. I read the first season comic book and will read this seasons after I am done here. I want no spoilers to ruin a very fun show. It is just scary enough for a frightened squirrel like myself and has a rich and complicated mythology. I will be so happy to see the bad guys die in this one and I am bracing for the deaths of my favorites as well. No one gets out of a show like The Strain, alive.
 
Zoo
 
 
I am loving how goofy this show is getting just three episodes in. Random targeted animal attacks have been continuing around the world.  Bats try to kill two of our heroes again by bringing down their plane so they crash near a radioactive island. Meanwhile the pieces of the superstar crisis team are assembled. How they found these specific people and thought they would be useful is totally unbelievable but without them we don't have a story. It's like they checked off a character list specifically needed to tell this PARTICULAR story - criminal profiler, veterinary pathologist, crusading reporter, African safari guide and his biologist friend. Suddenly we have the global Super Friends and each have the skills and now the resources (due to a generous benefactor) to save the world from the animals we have abused and exploited for so long.
 
I especially do like the Wolves however. They break into an prison to save a guy about to be put to death for murdering a group of hunters with his knives because he's some kind of activist about animal rights and in him the animals see a leader. Of course I didn't believe any of it for a second. Don't prisons have measures to prevent against such wolf attacks? This is what I like about ZOO. It's goofy and I just have to see how it all ends.
 
True Detective
 
 
Once again after watching and reading about Sunday's episode I am still as confused as ever. I am starting to care less and less about the story because it's going nowhere I can follow. I am also stopping to care about the characters who stopped to be interesting.
 
THEN the big gun fight and still I am lost. The mystery seems to be getting in the way of the story and the story should be about these damaged individuals but I see less and less of that as the weeks go on. Takes me out of the larger story all together. I will stick it out but I hate that I am not being given anything here to chew on. No mysteries to solves. No one to really like which is different than someone to feel sorry for.
  

3 comments:

Dr. Theda said...

good Sir Kal,... You "talked" us into purchasing a "Monster High" Doll....
Not something that we thought that we would Ever buy...
"Skelita Calaveras".... we bought her for the wonderful "skeletal" body...!!!
This will make for a Great 1/6th scale Figure... Now to find a usable "Head" (all of my Skulls of this size are too large... need something almost 1/2 that size....
But really "impressed" withe the Body...
the only other "Females" in my Collection are the first 12 inch Harley Quinn... and my beloved "Drucilla" (the insane vampire from Buffy)...
....and best of All ... she only cost a bit over $11.00....!!!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Oh that does make me happy. I am glad when a guy who knows his toys sees something to love about these Monster High Dolls like me. Skelita is one of my favs because of her skull body (which is really well done) and her Sugar Skull make-up. Another inspired creation.

Dr. Theda said...

We cane up with a "composite" Head... we will carve out her face... and insert most of one of the 1/6th scale skulls as her "Face"... (will leave the black hair and remove the colorful hair...
done similar "operations" in the past ... she should look very "creepy" when finished... "worthy" of my Collection...
they are "customizable" dolls...
Love the Slim and "sleek" skeleton Body.... (looks better than ones that we have paid Much more for)
Thank you for talking me into (with your Wonderful Posts) obtaining this new "Treasure"...!!!