Wednesday, March 4, 2015

This Could Be The Greatest Single Night Of Television Ever



http://reflectionsonfilmandtelevision.blogspot.ca/

When I returned to Canada after five years of German TV, I was overwhelmed by all the selection and especially all the great programs perfected geared towards a twelve year old boy. Pamela Sue Martin fights Dracula, Then The Six Million Dollar Man fights a shark before a crazy spider woman creature movie?? I would have wet my pants at a night of entertainment like that and still would to this day. And the greatest things is I had nerdy friends who loved this kind of stuff too. This was appointment television before VCRs and the Internet. You watched it the first time and during the summer re-run or you lost you chance to see these gems forever. There was no such thing as binge watching. I regret none of the time I spent in my earliest Cave of Cool with my 13 inch black and white TV that I won selling newspaper subscriptions to the Winnipeg Free Press. I soon won my own BETA machine just as PAY TV movie channels came into fashion. I could create my first commercial free video library...only on BETA. Those were the best of times.

5 comments:

david_b said...

Agreed and agreed.

ABC had great shows at that time, especially with Galactica, Hardy Boys, you name it.

Wings1295 said...

Awesome. I just watched a Six-Million Dollar Man episode this morning. :)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

That's right -- and if you visited someone and "their" program came on, you had to sit and watch it with them, because gawd knows they couldn't miss it!

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

It was a dark times...and then ROOTS came on TV and we all had to watch that...Dance Chicken George...DANCE!

Mike said...

Do you still have the Beta's? I wonder if you could convert them to DVD or digital