Friday, March 27, 2015

Another Film Meme About Me

    What’s the most depressing movie you’ve ever watched?
One from Russia about a guy who killed people for Stalin's government eight hours a day, five days a week for years. Nothing but shooting people against the walls and the trucks taking away the bodies and his home life then more of the same day after day after day. I can't remember the movie's name because it's Russian but I will never forget each frame of sadness and terror.
    What’s the most disturbing movie you’ve ever watched?
Xiu Xiu The Sent Down Girl. Is a very sad and wrenching tale of a young girl sent to Mongolia to preach Chairman Mao's communist vision. What happens to her and the nomadic herdsman who loves her is something I wish I could forget. No movie broke my heart like this one.


    A film you could watch on repeat for the rest of your life?
Golden Voyage of Sinbad
    What’s the very first film you remember watching?
The Aristocats
    A film you wish you hadn’t watched?
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    A film you wish had a sequel?
Galaxy Quest
    Which book would you like to see adapted into a film?
Kingdom Come or The Adventures of Cavalier and Clay.
    The most aesthetically pleasing movie you’ve ever watched?
The Fall was gorgeous.



          Your favourite movie genre?

Special effect filled action adventure or a nice disaster movie.
    A movie that holds a special place in your heart?
Legends of the Fall
    Your favourite comedy film?
Kindergarten Cop

          A film everyone loves but you hate?

ET and Titanic - I refuse to watch ET for the rest of my life. I got sucked into watching Titanic on a huge outdoor screen and I hated it. I couldn't wait for those poor doomed souls to die if it would just make the bad storytelling stop.
    A film you love but everyone else hates?
I can't think of any examples other than Resident Evil but that is a great picture. Loves me some Mila Jovovich.
    Which cinematic universe would you like to live in?
Most of the good ones require a lot of work or skill or training to survive in. Star Trek would be cool but like Star Wars there are a lot of 'cannon fodder' and you could just be another clone trooper. Harry Potter would be fun but annoying at the same time. The quality of spell casting at that school as woefully under taught.
    What’s your favourite biopic?
The one about the guy who did something famous enough to have a movie made about it. I never remember their names unless they are notorious and not just famous. Actually, Stand and Deliver.


    Mainstream movies or indie movies?
I am more disappointed with the mainstream too often. I admire a film with a small cast but some kind of story to tell. You don't need hundreds of millions of dollars to thrill or move the human heart. STORY is everything no matter the size of the project.
    Old movies or contemporary movies?
I was one of the lucky kids to never sleep as a teenager. I also lived during a time before cable television and video cassette tapes. I stayed up many a late night to watch all the classics from all the decades. This was also the time before video on demand. This was also a time when much crap was shown instead of infomercials.
    A film with an amazing soundtrack?
Star Wars, are you freaking kidding me?

 

5 comments:

Nick Ward said...

Golden Voyage! We've discussed this before. I love that movie!

Margaret Benbow said...

I agree with you about The Sent Down Girl. Have never forgotten it, and wish so much that I could.
But I'd recommend the Japanese movie Fireworks, with Takeshi Kitano. Tragedy and beauty and humor and violence all mixed in together--and it too ends with two gun shots, aimed by love.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I don't know if I could take another experience like Sent Down Girl.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yeah, I remember the days when late night crapola was shown on TV instead of infomercials. The crapola was much more entertaining.

Margaret Benbow said...

In Fireworks, the main character (who's a cop gone rogue, and I
completely sympathized with his reasons)has a wife with cancer, whom he treats with great respect and love. So it's not painful in the same way as The Sent Down Girl.