Thursday, February 19, 2015

Kingmen - The Secret Service

 
"Manners Maketh Man"

Kingsmen is the greatest James Bond movie we didn't think we needed. But, boy was this one a refreshing dose of super spy goodness.

Through the eyes of Eggsy, we learn all about the Kingsmen and their mission to save the world. If I had know about these guys when I was ten I would have devoted this life to their cause. I would have even faked the British accent if needed.

The gadgets are neat, especially the super gimmick umbrellas that all the Kingsmen carry. The testing process to become an agent is interesting and unique. I really enjoyed the chemistry between the two leads as well. The only thing I found slightly off putting was Sam Jackson's choice of lisp, and that one long shot of gratuitous violence in the Church. That was really...something. It turned  a silly little spy movie into a slick murder video. So much further than way over the top. But that is what you would expect from the director of Kick-Ass." After a couple of hits like that the film raises the stakes and the movie then REALLY takes off into gonzo territory and I loved it all.


This movie takes great care to not repeat anything we have seen in the past. The fight scenes are choreographed for maximum effect and everything had a terrific feverish energy about it. Even a little parkour works itself into the action and takes the filming of action to a different place. It's more like ballet than fighting and that all adds to this great live action cartoon.

 
Colin Firth is incredible as Eggsy's mentor, Galahad (all the Kingsmen have cool Knight-themed code names). Having an Oscar winner of this caliber just classes up the whole operation.



From the start of his career, writer-director Matthew Vaughn has worked on movies that blend humor, action, and a sort of ultra-hard-boiled pulp sensibility—all very much like the comics of writer Mark Millar, whose Kick-Ass Vaughn brought to the screen with his co-writer, Jane Goldman, back in 2010. Now Vaughn and Goldman are adapting another Millar comic, the Marvel Icon series The Secret Service, which will soon become the Fox movie Kingsman: The Secret Service. Colin Firth stars as a covert agent who poses as a tailor, and works with other agents to recruit and train skilled youth to preserve and protect Great Britain—all while looking super-dapper.

6 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Sounds like comic book movies are off to a great start in 2015.

j-swin said...

I agree, this was an all around great movie. Great fight scenes, cool gadgets and excellent acting all around, Colin Firth was definitely the highlight, especially the church scene.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

When I got over the shock of the total violence of the scene it was great. So much further over the top than I expected.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Definitely on my "to see" list in the next 2-3 weeks. My Rare One doesn't like superhero, sci-fi or fantasy (i.e. LOTR-type) movies because they're too "make believe" but somehow she does not apply that same logic to James Bond-type spy movies, so she is very keen to see this as well. And WTF do I care? You know how I lurves me some Colin Firth, so I'll go see him in anything.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Yup, this has all the loop holes you will love. My mother is all about not watching anything UNREAL. She watched the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie but passed on the next two. One trip was enough for her.

I don't understand these people but I know what she likes and doesn't like. I have been her video bootlegger for decades.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

Still need to go see this.