Saturday, January 10, 2015

True Detective

"There is all kinds of ghettos in the world."
"It's all one ghetto, man, giant gutter in outer space."
 


Let's first start with that opening. What a fantastic theme song. I can't get it out of my head. I will be singing it all week. T Bone Burnett, you earned your nickname. That is a tune only a T Bone could write.


This was one that stopped me dead in my tracks. I loved that I had closed captioning because reading along makes this so much of a better experience. The script is so dense and in love with words that to watch it any other way would do a disservice to the whole production. Better yet the words are coming out the mouths of Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson - two of their generation's finest actors.




I love the mystery within' a mystery boozy bayou vibe that the whole production projects. Lots of secrets to be revealed and I think if I pay attention to this one close enough, I will be richly rewarded with my time and effort.

3 comments:

Jordan said...

Cal! I'm delighted.

This is so serendipitous because I'm actually watching True Detective at this very moment. (I watched it when it first ran and now I'm going through the Blu-rays.)

This is really one of my favorite things ever. I just re-watched all of Twin Peaks (because I got the new Blu-ray set for Christmas) and it had me thinking about True Detective, which is why I'm watching it again.

TD isn't just a powerhouse acting showcase; it's also an unusually literary TV show. It's unusual in that one single writer (who comes out of one of the legendary Southern writing programs) did the whole thing...and then one director did the whole thing, too. It's an incredibly good story with unusual novelistic depth and extremely nuanced characterizations.

I'm looking forward to hearing your commentary going forward.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I was impressed by the first half hour and couldn't let go. I will be binging on the whole season in the next couple of days. Finally I have someone to share a show with...that isn't the Bachelor.

Timothy S. Brannan said...

This show is so fantastic. I fealt drained by the time the finale aired. It was just good from the first beat to the last.

I am very pleased you have found this.