Sunday, January 11, 2015

True Detective Episode Two - Seeing Things

I am going to say this everytime I talk about TRUE DETECTIVE. That opening theme song is so good that I have to listen to it twice before I even start Episode 2. I also have to watch the synopsis of the last episode two or three times to make sure I have all my clues together. All of his perfectly sets me up the story that is to come. It's so dense that it's fun to pay attention to every word and look.



I am into episode two and I got a terrible feeling that one of these two guys is being accused of a serious crime and the 'future interview' plot device is there to give me a twist at the end. I hope the road I am on ends differently because this show can do better than be another 'Frailty'. Not that I don't love that movie. I just want something special out of 'True Detective'.

 
The show plays really well with the passage of time. So much so I always have the feeling it was filmed chronologically if that makes any sense. This never has the 'shot out of order' problems that can sometimes bring down such an intricately build house of cards.
 
And then Alexandra Daddario shows up and takes off her shirt. Damn, the gifts just keep on coming.
 
 
The clues are not as important here as building character. I like the way they are telling many stories all at the same time. It's a fascinating way to tell a story and with actors like Woody and Matthew, things are being revealed with every word spoken. It's a slow burn but that is how I like my mysteries to unfold.
 

4 comments:

Jordan said...

Ah, Episode 2. The plot thickens.

Of course I won't give anything away, Cal, but I will say that you've got nothing to worry about...it just gets better and better. I'm experiencing a vicarious thrill as you watch it because you've got no idea what's coming up...

The work done to define the two time periods (especially, the makeup on the two lead actors) is incredible, isn't it?

You may know that Rust Cohle became such an instant icon that there was a run on that "Big Hug Mug" from the 2012 interrogation sequences...it suddenly was sold out everywhere.

Watching it again, I'm finding that the visual motíf I'm enjoying the most is the repeated cuts to aerial footage of their car going somewhere. There's usually brooding music over those shots, and the variation of the Louisiana landscape -- all those wetlands and industrial parks and endless fields and spools of highway -- give a wonderful sense of the two cops as tiny figures in a vast landscape (both physically, and in terms of the criminal investigation, and in terms of the more philosophical territory they're exploring).

csmith2884 said...

I still have to finish the series, I liked it but lost the required continuity while the little humans were home on summer break. I am hoping for a free day to review and finish. I is/ was well acted at the least.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I appreciate the comments boys. Thank you Jordan for enriching the experience and giving me something to look for. I really get the feel that ONE guy wrote this. This is a vision, not something created by committee. In that case it's very rare. Doing an episode a day and lovin' it so far.

DrGoat said...

A great series. Got hooked several months ago, rented it from Netflix. Matthew M.'s rants to the 2 cops questioning him are unbelievable. Found myself agreeing with him. Just a fine production.