Thursday, December 4, 2014

Christmas Comes Early At The Cave Of Cool

I was hanging out with my buddy Brent and we were talking about my toy collection. He was amazed at what I described to him and believe me, I UNDERSOLD it's greatness if anything.

Suddenly he pulls out this 1964 G.I Joe and hands it to me as a gift. I was overwhelmed. He just wanted me to have it. It was taking up space in a drawer for him. Look at the condition this guy is in after 50 years. Usually the hair shows wear and bald spots but not this one. He is in gorgeous shape. All his joints are strong. A 1964 GI JOE was built to last.

 
I had many of these 12 inch Joes as a kid and a ton of vehicles and outfits but all were lost when I most back to Canada from Europe. My experience with these larger figures with their great accessories turned me off totally for the 3 3/4 inch figures that became GI JOE in the 80s. I hate any figure that has it's clothing painted on. Especially the smaller ones. It's just a quirk in my collection.

I have a 12 inch Destro with cloth clothing but it's not the same without a Cobra Commander, Baroness and Serpentor at that same size for him to hang with.

I have nearly nothing from the original GI JOE line of action figures, arguably the greatest action figure of all time in my collection currently. I have a classic Tuskegee Airman and of course my beloved Teddy Roosevelt figure. This new guy (who I have yet to name) has nothing but his original medallion (!!) and the cloths on his back. He looks like he just came out of the jungle after thinking the war was still going on.


I never do this but I am making a call out to fellow GI JOE collectors who may have a few odd pieces at the bottom of a box somewhere that they would like to donate to a worthy cause. I would at least like a nice pair of boots so he doesn't have to look like Shoeless Joe in my display case. If you can spare a pair of boots then maybe you can part with a few other neat pieces of gear so I can kit this guy out in some kind of funky fashion (sword, pistol, knife).
 
He doesn't have the Kung Fu grip like the later figures but that all just adds to his charm. It funny how much his gift affected me. Meant nothing to Brent, he would have just given to the first kid he saw but because he learned about my toys he wanted me to have this nice piece. It was a cool moment for me because I don't have any real life friends - you know the people in your life who DO amazing stuff like that for you without you having to ask?
 
I wish I lived in the USA where I know I could find these bits and pieces at a bargain. EBay will just soak me on the shipping for the tiniest of items even that great flare gun.
 
I do have this demolition scuba diver set but I don't want to open it just to outfit my Joe.
 
 
So if you have a heart to help me with this project you can send anything to my mailing address. Just ask for it in the comment section if you want to help a poor boy out. No donation is too little as long as it goes with this Joe. I will send you back something in return which can be collection related if you let me know what you like. If not, everyone likes to get some authentic Canadian Maple Syrup, right? I know a guy who gets it for me cheap.

 

7 comments:

david_b said...

Kal, what a wonderful gesture in asking folks to donate to this vintage backyard warrior, the sure victor in many untold tales of heroics and bravery.

I donated nearly all my unused 1:6 Joe clothing a decade ago..., I wouldn't think shipping fees to Canada would be much. I've shipped to Canada dozens of times and didn't spend all that much. I'd reconsider eBay.

A grand gesture, sir. My humble thanks.

j-swin said...

bully for you, kal. it goes to show that nice things happen to nice people.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I want his gear to be given and not paid for like he was. And it's can be anything that goes with a twelve inch joe. Let's see what happens.

Barbecue17 said...

I believe I can hook you up my friend. I think you'll be pleased....

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

But you have already done too much for me. What do want or like in return. I already started a box for you.

Mike D. said...

See the kind of kindness you inspire my Brother

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Brent is one nice guy.