Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Which Movie Have You Seen More Than Any Other?

  


I am going to start posting favorites that start with each letter of the alphabet. But first I had to start with my all time most watched film. I know all the words of dialogue and can recite the entire film from memory. Caroline Munro was my first childhood crush.

 
When I was a kid my father was posted to an army post in Lahr, West Germany and they had a great couple of theatres. On the weekend they would show several cartoons, a old movie serial, a B movie and then the main feature. We would be there for five hours at least and we were never let down. All the kids you knew would have the run of the place. At least every two months they would bring back the classic GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD - to me the best of the Ray Harryhausen special effects adventure films. The story is simple - Sinbad finds an intriguing map and sets sail for the previously uncharted island of Lemuria with a beautiful slave girl, Margianna, and the Grand Vizier of the land of Marabia. Prince Koura, an evil wizard who is trying to gain control of Marabia through his manipulation of malevolent spirits, follows in an effort to thwart Sinbad's quest. Awaiting them on the mysterious island is the Fountain of Destiny where "the gods smile on mortal men" and bestow youth, a cloak of darkness and best of all a crown of untold riches to whomever has the three peices to a golden amulet. Starring John Phillip Law as the famous Arabian hero and the most beautiful Caroline Munro as Marianna it was the exact kind of creature feature that still gives me smiles to this day. I know every line and I can only recite Star Wars like that. Even the villian - Prince Koura - played by Tom Baker is excellent. You almost hope for him to suceed and there were time when we actually thought he would no matter that we had seen the movie many time before. But lets not forget the creatures Harryhaussen created. From the eight armed goddess of Kali to the Griffin and Cyclops there is much eye candy to behold. Munro was the first actress I ever had a crush on and she is still THE model of beauty for this sad white boy. Even the side character are memorable. The Grand Vizier with his gold facemask is regal and impressive as is the drunk rich man's son Harroun who makes his journey from slacker to full fledge crewman. He also provides much of the movie's comedy relief. What amazed me the most was to learn that the entire film was completed for $982,351, a remarkably small sum even for a film in the early 1970s especially one with such elaborate stop-motion effects.

 

16 comments:

Justin S. Davis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin S. Davis said...

Grease 2.

Yes, really. I KNOW SHAME.

My excuse: This was the 80s, man, and I'd get dragged to church on Sunday mornings. I was begrudgingly always the first one up and ready, and I'd seethe in front of the tv...but the only things on the main channels were televangelists and Davy & Goliath claymation. And Grease 2 on HBO. That movie seemed to run for years and years in the same 7:30am-9:30am Sunday timeslot.

When you only had, like, 4 channels like my household did, you took what you could get...which was nonstop Adrian Zmed.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I feel so sorry for you...but Michelle was extra hot in that one...if you put it on mute.

Unknown said...

Any film I have seen, I can usually say I have seen three times or more. But today if pushed for an answer I would say "Clue". A madcap movie with a great cast and multiple endings that doesn't dull.

j-swin said...

The empire strikes back, I must have watched it every day from age 10 to 15.

Wings1295 said...

I wouldn't be good at this, because I watch movies I love multiple times. Lost count how many times I have seen Halloween, Friday the 13th, their sequels - the good and bad - and films like It's a Wonderful Life, Christmas Vacation, Overboard, Rear Window... Like I said, it would go on and on. :)

Barbecue17 said...

Without a doubt, my first movie is The Blues Brothers. I couldn't begin to guess how many times I've watched that movie. After that it gets harder. I'm going to throw Hot Shots in there as I had a friend whom I would watch this with every week when we were kids. Others that could be on this list are Halloween, Big Trouble in Little China, any of the Original Star Wars Trilogy, Dumb and Dumber, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Predator, and Army of Darkness.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

All great choices. Classics are classics for a reason.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

There's lots of movies I've seen multiple times. Just a couple off the top of my head -- Watership Down and It's a Wonderful Life.

DrGoat said...

I'm a multiple viewer also. Bladerunner, The Magnificent Seven, the Deadwood series, Marvel movies, Dune, The Thing (original and Carpenter version), The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Lord of the Rings Trilogy (extended version), Kelly's Heroes, The Dirty Dozen, Cool Hand Luke etc. etc.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Wow...great list.

DrGoat said...

I know you're list is pretty long too. You like the old good ones as well as the new gems.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Though Call! I still want to watch this movie because you love it so much.

Dave said...

The Time Machine, George Pal's version

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

You have never seen the golden voyage of Sinbad.

Dave said...

Yes, I've seen it multiple times too, just not as much as The Time Machine. A few years ago, I went to a Ray Harryhausen film festival. It lasted all day, but I had a great time by myself.