Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Interstellar

Once again I am reminded that Christopher Nolan is a brilliant man, but not the most exciting storyteller I have ever seen. His movies are great to look at but in this case, like with Inception, I was left cold. I didn't quite get the big revelation even after thinking of it for a day or two. I am not stupid but a Christopher Nolan movie makes me feel like I am if that makes any sense.

I would have gladly traded the trippier aspect of the film for more clarity. I hate symbolism and ambiguity in my  movies. I guess in that way I AM a simple man.

Oh sweet Jeebus, the ending of this movie! I thought I was going to puke my guts. What the hell actually happened? They kinda skipped over an explanation in exchange for the cute ending they wanted all along. The entire movie is one huge shell game and I feel cheated. I got that the father loved his daughter from the first ten minutes. You don't need to hit me over he head with that message. I mean, what's the point?

Nothing was learned and I gained no enlightenment from this film. Should that matter? I think so, especially with something that pretends to be important with huge things to say about the human condition. I hated this movie.



4 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

The mixed feelings of movie goers to Interstellar is why I went to see "Big Hero 6" instead. And given the box office receipts, I wasn't the only one who made that decision.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Yeh, I made that bad first choice. I just thought I had Big Hero figured out. Next time I won't go for all that space flash over animation. Has my life taught me nothing?

M. D. Jackson said...

The ending was quite simple: Once the humans from the far far future, the ones who now exist in all five dimensions, had Cooper in the Tesseract, a three dimensional representation of five dimensional space, they coerced him into communicating the observations taken from inside the black hole into his old wristwatch using binary code via gravity (which has effects in all five dimensions) so that his daughter can save humanity from the dying Earth by putting them all into L5 colonies. Once they were done with that the five dimensional beings (descendants from the "Plan B" collection of embryos brought to Edmond's World by Anne Hathaway) collapsed the Tesseract and spat Cooper out of the wormhole (the one that they had placed around Saturn before the film began) just in time to be picked up by a passing spaceship.

It's all quite simple. I don't know why people have trouble understanding it.

Oh, yes, and love transcends all space and time. There you have it.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I understood the English words you used but not in the combination you put them in. Maybe if you had diagrams I could follow. I am not a smart man, you understand.