Monday, September 15, 2014

Only 'Doctor Who' Gets A Movie Poster For Each Episode

Beautiful episode posters designed by Stuart Manning for Radio Times.





I am still on the fence about this new season of Doctor Who. I love Jenna but she can be AWFULLY earnest and Capaldi still looks and acts like my nutty Uncle. This last episode, Listen, felt like Neil Gaiman wrote it. Then someone else got a hold of it and over-wrote it. I liked some things but thought I should have enjoyed it more than I did. I found it a chore to get through.

Have I lost my Doctor Who mojo? I just don't get it anymore like I didn't get it as a child. It was shown on Canadian TV (Tom Baker version) for most of my life. I didn't ever give it a chance to start and get me hooked. It was a show that would get me off the couch to turn the channel like we had to do back in the day. I have also mentioned how it would make me fall asleep on Sunday nights and miss Star Trek on PBS that followed it. It was my personal television nightmare.


Fast forward to 2005, a hot summer evening and the new Doctor Who and my first look at Rose Tyler. I was prepared to believe everything just to watch her every week. I learned and loved as I went along. I navigated the new Doctors and their random companions for years.

I don't know what happened this year. It's too much work to watch Doctor Who. It's making me think too much. Yeh, I shouldn't be thinking this while watching the good Doctor. Right?

What do you think of this season so far?

4 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Having only thirteen episodes per season probably makes it that much easier to come up with unique posters. Although artist Juan Ortiz has been doing some fantastic work composing posters for the classic Star Trek episodes:

https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/juan-ortiz

I hear you about the new season. Thus far its just been "okay" without much to make it different or fresh from previous seasons, even with a new face for the lead. "Listen" is easily the best episode so far if only because of its unconventional plotting.

j-swin said...

i hear you, i'm trying to give him a chance to see where he takes the character but i'm just not feeling it so far. the last ep was better than the robin hood one but i think that's because stephen moffit wrote it.

Tim Knight said...

I join the chorus of agreement on the current season.

As much as I like Capaldi as The Doctor, the scripts are doing nothing for me so far.

This week's stirred a slight interest, but honestly it was largely a rehash of "Moffat's Greatest Hits" (Vashta Nerada, The Silence, Weeping Angels etc

Nick Ward said...

I am and always have been a fan. Having said that I'm finding very little to love in this new series. One thing I know for certain. Mark Gatiss should never be allowed to write for Dr Who again - or Sherlock.

I feel sad.