Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Guardians Of The Galaxy (With Spoilers)


One of the things I like least in my life is the fact that I have no one to see cool movies with. You know the kind of friend you go out for fries after the film to discuss what you just watched. Is that so terrible a thing to hope for? I experienced that feeling today while watching The Guardians of the Galaxy by myself. I could tell you about the film but you all know what the story is because by now, anyone who cares has seen the movie.

One of the great team-up stories in sci-fi movie history has been created here. I like how the team had no real reason to be together but that is what makes them and their partnership so great. For once nothing is manufactured. Everything feels very organic. I have no idea if that was deliberate or a perfect mistake but there is no unnecessary moment. Everyone of the characters provides just what is needed for success.


In the middle of all the action they still find time for laugh-out-loud humor and, yes, WONDER.  I Like the homage to the character of Yondu, one of the ORIGINAL Guardians of the Galaxy and this arrows that he can control with his whistling. That was a nice homage to the original team that took that name in the 70s.

 
(click to enlarge)
 
I loved everything about this new story. The characters, their personalities, their gadgets, how they change and grew - how jokes come back to be funnier the second time - everything that makes a great movie great, regardless of the genre. Even the soundtrack shouldn't work but it DOES.

This movie is full of so many Easter eggs for Marvel fans like myself. They even gave me a few seconds of Cosmo. COSMO!! And even had his voiced by Nathan Fillion. Yeh, that is a spoiler but so what. I had heard he was going to be Nova Prime but am happy to be mistaken. There is all kind of talk about Howard the Duck being in the film but for me COSMO is the real revelation. Someone understands the entire universe that the Guardians operate in. That can only bode well for any future installments.

 

 
This is a great movie in a summer of great movies. I am happy for all involved because it means that studios will take chances on more 'wacky' premises. This one may not have looked great on paper but on the big screen it was a hoot and a half. We live in a golden age my friends and this movie is one of those reasons.
 
 
 
Let's show the audiences out there we do more than dark gothic cities and angry feral Canadians. We do your favourite characters you've never met, in locations and situations you could never dream. We call these comics, and we invite you to read more about them. Lets not just repeat 'I am Groot' over and over - we have the guy that does that best - let's all be Guardians of the Galaxy. 'Nuff said. 
 


5 comments:

Tim Knight said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim Knight said...

Another great review, Cal.

Sorry to have to correct you, though, but Nathan Fillion didn't voice Cosmo. Cosmo has no lines anyway.

Fillion is the voice of the giant inmate who threatens Quill when the Guardians first turn up in prison - the one who has nis nasal cavities cleared out by Groot!

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Dancing Groot: SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Kal said...

I read that he was Cosmo so I have my facts. But just seeing Cosmo free was enough.

Dancing Groot is Funko's greatest piece over. I am so glad it didn't turn into some ComiCon exclusive so I can have one. They should have played up that revival of Groot a bit more than they did.

Mike said...

So many things to love about the movie, The dancing baby Groot being very high on the list. Rocket and Groot were so much fun. I hope Cosmo gets to strut his stuff later on. Maybe there will be a DVD extra?

I was bummed that Drax was so de-powered. The NOVA corps was in ships? Ronan was a bad guy instead of the champion of his people? Nowhere was a mining colony?

How this all ties together later wil be very interesting to watch.