Saturday, August 9, 2014

Doctor Who - An Adventure In Space And Time

OMG this was a treat to watch. The story of the origin of the Doctor Who program was a great surprise for me. I was never a fan of the program as a kid. I have told the story many times how it would follow Monty Python on Sunday nights on PBS. The night ended with Star Trek - The Original Series. I often missed Star Trek as I fell asleep with how boring Doctor Who was at the time for me. I resented it not holding my interest. This docudrama changed that all around for me.

I have seen the lead actor David Bradley playing the first Doctor do some terrific work this year on Broadchurch (with Doctor Who's Peter Tennant), The Strain and now this one.

What do you get when you mix C.S. Lewis with H.G. Wells, and sprinkle in a bit of Father Christmas? An alien Time Lord exploring space and time in a Police Box spaceship called the "TARDIS" (Time And Relative Dimension in Space). On November 23, 1963, a television legend began when the very first episode of Doctor Who was broadcast on BBC One. Fifty years later, the genesis story is retold in a new BBC AMERICA co-production film celebrating the 50th anniversary of the franchise, An Adventure in Space and Time.



There's a breezy propulsion to An Adventure in Space and Time - written by Sherlock's Mark Gatiss, a member of the Steven Moffat mafia - as it charts the evolution of Doctor Who and the invention of so many things beloved by Whovians the world over.



This one was gorgeous to watch and plays the myth as much as the reality of Doctor Who`s origin. Seeing the whole thing set during the Golden Age of Television gives the whole production it`s solid foundation. I loved everything going on around the making of the show. It was such a gamble at the time but you root for the show to beat the odds even knowing that it lasted 50 years and is an iconic television program. That is the magic in this film.

 



Jessica Raine was luminous in the role of Verity Lambert, the first producer of Doctor Who. Having the first producer being a woman makes one wonder how much potential was kept behind the glass ceiling for so long.


The production design is incredible.
Have I mentioned that enough.


The story is touching and often heartbreaking but hits all the themes of regeneration and change that have dominated the series.



 

5 comments:

j-swin said...

I missed that one but did you see the 11 specials that focused on the 11 doctors? They were released one a month and were followed by a classic episode. Very interesting for those who didn't grow up with the doctor.

Kal said...

I need to check that stuff out. I am suddenly more interested in the other guys that came before 20054

bliss_infinte said...

Holy crap, I gots ta watch this!

Kal said...

I know, right? I just saw it on the download and had to watch it.

david_b said...

It was a FANTASTIC film. True on most fronts, it really captured the essence of the early years impecably.

It's a MUST WATCH.