Friday, July 4, 2014

You Had Me At 'Remote Arctic Research Station'


Everything is still very earnest but still very goofy six episodes into the first season of Helix. Since it's the story of a viral outbreak with zombie like effects to the afflicted, it's doubtful that many will live to see the end of the fast moving episodes of the first season. But it's has it's moments. I hope the pay-off at the end is worth the effort on my part because I found the premise to be cool and I like Billy Campbell (he was the Rocketeer - show some respect, you animals) and I do like my drama with a full helping of hopelessness. No one is getting out of here alive and I wouldn't have it any other way. Like the virus as the heart of this story, the drama is constantly changing and mutating as more pieces are added to the puzzle. We know nothing good is happening at that base because a sea of bald, frozen test monkeys is never a positive development.



 
The frozen heads in the jars is a nice touch. Frozen heads in jars makes everything story better. At least that is my learned opinion. SIX frozen heads is a gift from the science fiction gods. WHY THE HELL DID YOU FREE THE HEADS?? What is with you cryonics guys and freezing just the head?? Do you have limited space where the heads are stored? Is that why ONLY the heads ever go in the tank? I hope the cooler you brought with you is large enough to contain my father-in-laws' enormous head. I don't want you having to go to Canadian Tire to purchase something larger.

 
I hope the next half of the season has many more surprises for me. They seem to have not fully shot their load, story wise so I am going to hold out and finish this binge on the weekend. Then I have 'Orange Is The New Black' and 'Orphan Black' and the rest of 'Penny Dreadful' and 'Viking' season two to get to. I think I will have a very strange next couple of weeks. But that is okay. I have Big Brother USA and The Amazing Race Canada (which starts this Tuesday) to enjoy.
 

 
The show better not end like this one. Is this a Twilight Zone or an Outer Limits?
 
 
They let the Hitler head KEEP that mustache? What could he do about it if they shaved it off? Like on a goof when they all were drunk one night? It just makes no sense.

Remember - "We are ALL in the White Room."
 

6 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

This photo is actually from the 1968 movie "They Saved Hitler's Brain!"

Mike said...

I watched the first episode and I liked it. I havent seen any others yet.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You haven't watched Season 2 of Vikings yet? WHAT could be more important than doing that? WHAT?

Kal said...

The fist Episode of Orange in the New Black. I need to be in a Vikings binge mood.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh, okay then. And it's the "first" episode, not the "fist" episode. Don't want to give people the wrong idea about the lesbo sex scenes.

Kal said...

Damn. I was so hoping you gals got freaky when confined.