Monday, July 14, 2014

TV TIMES


Today I was doing research only to find that Ray Donovan was coming back for Season 2. That Liev Shreiber and John Voight drama was one of the best 12 episodes of TV that I saw last year.  I didn't even know that a second season was a possibility nor did I know it had already been made. The first episode was last night. Another occasion of wetting myself prematurely. It's going to be so great.

If you haven't seen Ray Donovan, you owe it to yourself to do so. Season one is 12 episodes of some great acting and great twists and great character actors who are all connected to Ray Donovan (Liev) - a Hollywood FIXER who has issues of his own. This is rich, cool storytelling. I would compare this story in quality to my beloved Justinfied and I don't throw that comparison around lightly. Both create such fantastic realized fully formed worlds, and as a viewer, you have no choice but to WANT to follow these characters. What will they do next? How will they get out of the chains the hold the back and the hurts that hold them captive? Oh, that is good writing. They should have me on the show. Anyways. I loved the first season. Catch up then join me here for season two. If you already know what I am talking about, share your thoughts on the show with me in the comments section.

This is the trailer for season one.



The Strain - Guillermo Del Toro owes me something great after he let me down with Pacific Rim. Where was the heart? I hear this series will be about a 'new' kind of vampire that we haven't seen before. Let me guess, fast, cannibalistic zombie vampire who can repair damage done to them so they tend to get shot up a lot but still come back. Who knows. I will watch because it's Del Toro and he gets a lifetime pass for Pan's Labyrinth.



24 ends with a bang this week. I have loved this shortened adventure of the popular series with the man with the lowest and most quiet voice in all TV - Kiefer Sutherland. Less filler (due to half the number of shows this cycle) and lots of filled in plot holes with a return to the previous history the characters have on the show - not just made up connections that have no context for the viewer - but reactions to previous CYCLES of the show. Old things that were left unresolved years ago, still have the power to affect the lives of everyone. It makes their struggle during this time sensitive day just that more intense and thrilling to follow.

I should have waited and binge watched but I love Jack too much not to watch it weekly. It's appointment TV for me. It's bad for my brain but I can't resist. Tonight is the last episode of this half a season and I am beyond pumped for the finale. I am predicting that Chloe will die at the end despite all that Jack tries to do to protect her. She will save the day but it will cost her life. I love Chloe and will hate to see her go but that is the ending I want.


Last Ship - still delivering the high tension goods. I like a world on the verge of death and these few remaining, uninfected humans are battling each over scraps and half bits of data or research. Work together, solve the virus and then go back to killing each other. Everyone has to choose between doing the noble thing or the thing that will enrich them and secure their position in power. Loose rides the crown, remember that. And I am speaking directly to YOU Russian Admiral Smug Face.

 

3 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I stayed up to watch The Strain because I was a fan of the book series its based on. Its clear FX wants a piece of The Walking Dead action with this one.

The show leads itself well to the procedural format of the books. Cable lets them show a bit more violence and gore but while the long format series is well suited to the building apocalypse story better than a movie, the pace is certain scenes, particularly the one on the plane was a sharp reminder that TV still has its time limitations.

Kal said...

I am watching it now. I never realized it had a book written first. It will be interesting to see how much they change.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Its been a decent adaptation thus far. As for "New Vampire", the book really just repackages the Reapers from Blade 2.