Saturday, July 12, 2014

Crossbones and Black Sails

I feel like I live in a golden age with TWO great pirate shows on TV. Crossbones has only gotten better as the weeks have gone by. John Malkovich has poured all the best about what makes him interesting into his portrayal of the Commodore, AKA Blackbeard. We all know Blackbeard was the most fearsome pirate of them all and watching Malkovich chew the scenery in every scene is a treat. He lives up the legend. The rest of the show is totally up to his level of commitment as well. I love the way the people dress and talk and the conflicts feel real to the times they are living in.


 

 
 
Black Sails can stand on it's own and in no way should be seen as competing with Crossbones. They both complement each other. This period of history is rich with stories to be told, especially pirate stories. Both shows tell similar tales but their approaches are as different as the divide between network television and cable networks. I thought Crossbones would be defanged for NBC but for a network show Crossbones is bloody and lusty. It pushes the boundaries of what usually passes for a 'network' show but in a good way.
 
Black Sails could soak the ground in blood and sex since it's on Starz, but has chosen to save those moments for when they have the most effect. Everything is so much more measured here than it was on the Spartacus series, which also was a Starz production. Toby Stephens is a weird choice to play Captain Flint but he is growing on me. I just normally don't see him as an action star but his pirate king is an interesting guy with interesting ambitions. I am halfway through season one and really enjoying it.
 


 


2 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

Now I know I'm a nerd because I immediately recognized Toby Stephens as the one of the most forgettable Bond villains ever.

Kal said...

See and I liked him in that Bond film. I so wanted to slap that smug look off his face. But there is something off about him as an action hero. He was good as the scientist in the Machine but seeing him in action is different.