Saturday, June 22, 2013

On The Hunt For Mysterio




I am not usually a fan of 3 3/4 inch figures because for some strange reason I prefer a larger figure. That's despite that fact that these Marvel Universe figures are gorgeous with highly detailed sculpts and paintjobs. For their size you really get a great representation of these timeless characters.

Mysterio is one figure that I wish I had more versions of. I think he will be my next collecting project. I know he has come in many sizes over the past couple of years.


His look is just perfect for a Spider-Man Villain. Visually he is spectacular with his fishbowl helmet and oversized gauntlets. A cape is always a nice touch and very few of Spider-Man's foes actually wear them.

I am a sucker for ANY figure with a bubble helmet but this one goes above and beyond in the cool department.

 
I just went to EBay to see about the 10 inch Mysterio that I remember from the Spider-Man Animated line. I have the Vulture from the same series. But this Mysterio doesn't impress me that much. He's a bit sad actually. Ah I will bid when I can get him cheap.
 
 

4 comments:

david_b said...

Oh, THAT IS INCREDIBLE.. I haven't liked the MU line as much as the ultra-cool Legends or Select lines, but there's just impeccable art/design work there, on such a small scale. Incredible.

If you need a good vehicle for your collection, pick up the movie Fantasticar with the Reed figure. JUST the perfect scale for 'em and it's pretty cheap to come by. I have one in my office filled with Ironman, Secret Wars Reed Richards, Spidey, Thing and Hawkeye all catching a lift.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I remember seeing Mysterio on a static-y episode of the Spider-Man animated series from when I was a kid. That round, vacant helmet was just freaky. The eyeballs on his collar were just as unsettling.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Remember those little rubber, bouncy "glow balls" that you could juice up on light from a light bulb and then they'd glow in the dark? Mysterio's head/helmet looks suspiciously like one. Maybe that's how they got rid of the warehouses of left-over glow balls once the craze died.

Kal said...

Who told you the glow ball craze died?