Monday, June 24, 2013

Laserblast (1978)



I remember when Starlog magazine first came out. It was the only place that one could find advanced knowledge about cool science fiction movies that were coming out soon. After Star Wars publishers realized there was a market for news about anything in the Sci Fi vein. I so remember the push that was therefor on for this Laserblast movie. This was long before the internet.

 
I remember thinking it was going to be the next best thing because the articles in the magazine painting it to be so. Of course there was no trailer to watch until many years later. Maybe if I had seen it I wouldn't have been so monstrously disappointed by the end result. My high school drama class could have done a better job.






I am glad it was more than a decade after I missed this one the first time around that I finally saw it. I got sucked into the cover art on the VHS box. I was still let down but not as let down as I would have been if I had saved my allowance for this piece of crap. Worst yet if I had played it up to friends because it would have ruined my reputation as I a sophisticated magazine reader.

2 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

This movie was the subject one of my personal favorite MST3K episodes. I can never take Leonard Maltin seriously ever again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ijHd6qtrE

M. D. Jackson said...

I felt EXACTLY the same way! After reading about it in Starlog I HAD to see it, but back then it just wasn't going to happen... and it never did! I still haven't seen that damned movie!