Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day To The Best Dad Ever

 
Father, Soldier, Teacher, Peacekeeper
I miss him every single day
 
 
When he turned 15 he decided that he didn't want to go into the nickel mines like most of his classmates did and joined the army. He was discovered to be too young to join so they made him repeat his first year of basic. He didn't care. It just made him into Cadet of the Year.
 
 
 
 
I remember growing up wanting for nothing. My father even researched action figures because never did a Christmas go by (he died when I was 40) when I didn't get great action figures from him. He was always interested in whatever I was doing. I know he would have loved this blog and I am sorry he never got a chance to read it.
 
 


 
Lifelong sportsman and outdoorsman. Taught me survival skills and how to hunt and fish while respecting both the animals and the land. He made sure that both me and my sister were University education and well travelled so that we could contribute to this world rather than take from it. He also loved to solve mysteries and we could have been a great detective duo in another life.
 
 
Firing his last artillery round after 32 years
 


8 comments:

DrGoat said...

Great memories. Sorry Dad had to leave you so soon. I have the same memories of my Dad who passed away 12 yrs ago. We're lucky we had such great Dads.

Kal said...

We were very lucky to see what other people have. Or don't have.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Dad. And love all those photos!

Hobgoblin238 said...

I have GOT to upload some pics of my father too. I gotta take them to the store though.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful man Kal thank you for sharing your memories of him with all of us.

Wings1295 said...

Sounds like a great guy. Living your best life would be the best tribute to him. :)

Sam G said...

Great tribute Cal. Your father sounds like an awesome dude. I'm sure he would be very proud.

GC said...

Enjoyed reading about your dad. Wonderful memories. :)