Monday, June 10, 2013

Adventures At The Cave Of Cool - Sometimes It's Not A Serial Killer

Part 1

For all you wannabe detectives out there I have a mystery for you to solve. Last night I went to bed about 9 PM. I was grumpy and tired and decided not to fight it. Throughout the night the cat kept waking me up to go outside so at about 4am I went to let him out and noticed a white truck in our driveway. Very strange. Normally people park on the street if their driveway is full. I figured it must have been the guy next door or one of the workers who are adding siding to their house. Didn't think much of it except to hope that the truck was moved in the morning so I could get out with my car.

Upon waking up this morning my mother and I noticed that there was this bed at the bottom of our basement stairs. She told me that she also had woken up before 4 am and saw a pair of runners at the top of the stairs, the bed at the bottom and the back door unlocked. Of course she goes back to bed and doesn't wake me to tell me something strange is going on.


This morning I awoke to find the truck gone but all the lights were left on in the basement, especially the two lights that I never use in that room. That is the room where I also store all my toys, none of which were touched. So obviously this is what happen...

- Two people (because you would need two people to move a mattress, box spring and frame) brought a bed into our house without ringing the doorbell or alerting us to the fact that this was happening.

- It happened between 11 pm and 4 am, a weird time to be delivering ANYTHING but hookers, drugs, booze or pizza. My mother was up reading until 11 am so the deliver had to happen after that time.

- The 'movers' were obviously still in the house when both my mother and I were awake. The shoes and truck still being around proves that. Why did they not alert us to their presence if their intentions weren't nefarious? They had to have heard us move around upstairs.

- They turned on lights that we never use and left them on after they left. They obviously didn't care that we knew they were there.

I did not wake up despite the fact that a butterfly can wake me up and my window was wide open to the back yard and back door. I would/should have heard something because these weren't the Bed Fairies doing a delivery. Moving a bed makes noise but I heard nothing. I was like ninjas were in charge of he delivery.

My mother thinks she recognizes the bed and the truck from her friend's garage sale this weekend so we have a chance of tracking down the 'perps'. Sure, nothing was stolen but I am pretty pissed at the person that thought it was okay to just drop off beds whenever they feel like it and leave all the lights on downstairs. I am also a little mad at myself that I didn't charge downstairs with my Thor hammer and Zorro sword to defend my domicile.

Now I have been going through my collection of action figures and putting little displays together and boxing somethings up while connecting my loose figures with their loose parts. I have full tubs of them to go through. I am glad I took these pictures few days ago for a post I am working on about getting a handle on one's toy collection. It was easy to see that nothing was missing after a quick review of these pictures.

We were just the victims of a late night bed delivery. Strange.

 






 
PART 2
 
So while the guys were fixing our fence in the back yard this normal looking guy shows up at our door and said that he thought he broke into our house last night. Seems he had a key for a house a few doors down because he's renting a room from a buddy. When our back door was open he thought he could just move his bed in and did - quietly. Then seeing the room he thought was his full of boxes and tubs containing my comic book collection, he instead just crashed on the couch in the main room (thus explaining how the cat's bed was all changed) and fell asleep because he had been on a long drive. That is why my mother saw the shoes at the top of the stairs but heard no one downstairs.
 
After a few hours he woke up and left to load up more of his stuff so that is why the truck was gone. It was only when he tried to find the house in the daylight that he realized what happened the night before and that he had messed up big time.
 
After he finished telling his story I asked him what he thought of my toy collection because if I turned on a light and saw walls and walls of action figures I would have figured I died and gone to heaven. He said he never even noticed anything around him because he was so tired. I think that's what annoyed me the most about the whole incident. I am insulted that my collection didn't even register with him.
 
Part 3
 
On the night when someone broke into our house silently with all the pieces to a single bead, we had planned some fence repairs. Our back fence was starting to look pretty ratty and was weather beaten and decrepit. So a handyman my Mom knows from a friend comes by and looks at it and a little cement work and says to her that the whole fence will have be replaced - 50 ft. Couple thousand easily for the work.
 
This morning I am talking to the same guy and he is saying he had a troubled sleep. Doesn't know why but it was a nightmare for him all night. He comes back this morning and said he immediately recognized my mother as the woman who cared for his mother who was dying of Alzheimer's Disease years ago. My mother worked in that ward of the Red Deer Nursing Home for 30 years so she did treat his mother and remembered the woman and started telling him funny things she would do.
 
Well I tell you, I was like magic - a magic I have see my mother perform many times. Suddenly as she is talking he is telling her about how he can fix her fence and paint it, both sides for very little money. He is so taken with her and the stories she remembers about his mother that he makes her a deal. He will fix the fence. And he will do it in a day. He'll fix some broken cement we had too.
 
Suddenly he has a new idea about the fence. Don't replace everything. Replace one rotten post, secure it with some cement so it strengthens the other pieces of the fence. Buy THREE length of board to replace what has broken off or rotted away. Do lots of renailing and supporting and suddenly, with a spiffy paintjob, a fence in reborn.  I think it's a cheap, solution to a nagging but not necessary project. It looks enough better to impress and that is all I hoped for when I decided to fund this project.
 

 
I have to say I am impressed with our guy. Being a craftsman and working with what he had (like it was back on the farm) became this handyman's attitude and he brought something back to life and had more fun AND worked less and made more money than he had in awhile - or at least that is what he told us at the end of the day. He considered it a challenge to build something from less than nothing and have it hold up. And the fence looks pretty damn good I think. I HAVE to search for a pic from winter or last summer to show everyone the comparison. It was a ratty piece crap I can tell you.
 
 
Tomorrow the second coat and the painting of the other interior fences. The back swing door will also get some stronger hinges.
 
 

9 comments:

Hobgoblin238 said...

How many times have I told you that we need locks on the vehicle doors?

Sam G said...

Dude...that's weird. The door wasn't locked? Just be thankful it wasn't the black eyed kids. Seriously. Google it.

Kal said...

Usually the door is locked but sometimes it happens that it's not. It's a safe neighborhood.

DrGoat said...

An ounce of prevention Cal. Even in a safe neighborhood. You have a collection worth tons of money. If anything happened to your collection, I would feel the psychic ramifications all the way down here in Tucson.

Kal said...

You are so right Dr. Goat. It's a good lesson and thankfully didn't turn into a worse case scenario.

Sam G said...

Whew! Thank goodness the guy wasn't a psycho.

Kal said...

Well....knock wood

The week isn't over yet. He may still be a psycho.

M. D. Jackson said...

Yeah, but in Red Deer you know all the psychos. It's like that in most places in Canada. "Yeah, we have a psycho. That's Gerald two houses down. Don't pay him no mind. Just don't make eye contact and Don't buy him booze."

...and in Canada if you lock your doors at night you're considered unfriendly. Not that anyone will mention it. We're all too polite for that. But still, we all know who the anti-social ones are.

Unknown said...

Loved reading your story this morning Cal. Glad everything worked out well in the end!