Wednesday, June 29, 2011

'Hawthorne' Bums Me Out


I have rarely been so blatantly manipulated as I just was watched the first episode of this year's 'Hawthorne'. I love 'Nurse Jackie' and had room for another hospital drama and since this one starred Jada Pinkett Smith (who was wicket awesome in the last two 'Matrix' movies) I made it the background noise while I was doing other things.

However, Season 3 began with the wedding between the main character and her handsome doctor groom. Then she got beat up in the parking lot the night of her wedding and eventually lost her baby while the other pregnant person at the hospital - a pretty, blond, white, ex-Iraq War vet with a scared face - had a healthy baby. GAH! That is HARSH.


I turned it off before it finished and I never do that. It was just too manipulative and gut wrenching to even enjoy. Sure the acting is stellar but in the service of what? I know situations like this happen but is it entertainment to be left without hope and then have the joy of someone else rubbed in our faces?

Damn, now I HAVE to see how it all ends. Stupid television.

Oh SURE - They named the baby HOPE - DOUBLE GAH!!!

And does her cop buddy showing up with the ring of her attacker mean that he killed him? I guess when he say 'sleep well' it doesn't leave much up to the imagination. K...that was a cool way to end this episode. Even cooler to see that the cop is played by Marc Anthony (that's right - Mr Jennifer Lopez) and he is edgy and quite bad ass.

1 comment:

Pat Tillett said...

I don't have access to this channel. I think my problem would be with be with Mr. Lopez plaing a "tough" cop. This guy weighs about 150 dripping wet.