Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Thaw


Starring Val Kilmer this is the story of a Yukon global warming research station that comes across a pristine Wooly Mammoth buried in the bit of remaining ice found at that time of year. As we all know NOTHING buried in the ice ever unthaws in a good way. This time its insect parasites (much like my much feared and hated botflies) that infect humans and animals with their bite. Its the 'cabin fever' scenario. You know everyone is dead once the first person starts to display symptoms. It doesn't help that they start to scratch their open wounds. The results are not too pleasant to watch as you would believe and the excellent make-up only enhances the creep factor. I hate movies like this because I always start to get itchy just watching the characters on the screen scratch. If you have a bug fetish you might not want to watch this film. The filmmakers show us a glimpse of the future right away so we suspect what is going on right from the start. That can often lead to becoming annoyed with the characters who take forever to understand what is happening to them. Once I saw what happened to the dead I would be burning EVERYTHING around me and I do love a good fire. This film creeped me out but good.

4 comments:

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

Just checking if my comments work

Wings1295 said...

Interesting. Off once more to check SyFy!!!

erin said...

Val Kilmer in a GhostHouse film? Was it well done?

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

I thought it was. Had some good creepy moments that kept me interested for the length of the movie. And its a Canadian production.