Monday, July 27, 2009

Fears of Comi-Con



Valerie over at 'Occasional Superheroine' wrote an excellent article today about the state of comic conventions and how "media conglomerates have taken comic book culture and "Andy Warholized" it, presenting us with mass-market, mass-produced, highly vetted versions of that culture's icons".

I really can't blame them for discovering something that I knew was awesome all along. Its their nature to refocus and change to suit a fickle marketplace. This of course doesn't discount my own role in perpetuating the decline of the industry. It feels like someone bigger than me found my secret tree fort and kicked me out of it before moving the whole thing, tree included, to their own yard. I can still see the fort but I can't climb it or enjoy it in secret like I used to. But maybe with them looking out for it the thing might survive longer than it would have with only me responsible for its care. These corporations maybe distilling the industry to a product they can market but they are also preserving its existence into the next generation. I choose to prefer survival over destruction despite what is left over at the end of the day. (But please don't take away my Mad Hatter girl cause I love her!)



http://occasionalsuperheroine.blogspot.com/2009/07/comic-cons-whats-happening.html

5 comments:

Wings1295 said...

Um, yeah... Interesting.

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

What do you mean?

Wings1295 said...

Sorry, was just commenting on the costumes. Just always get a little unnerved by some of them... especially the lady with the giant horns! hahaha

Drake said...

I've never been to a con but if that Black Widow shows up again...*sigh*

Cal's Canadian Cave of Coolness said...

What? No love for the Mad Hatter girl?